Serbia Upside Down – Gravel Camp Golija 2024
Camp & Accommodation
- Where are we staying?
- The Serbia Upside Down – Gravel Camp Golija 2024 is being hosted on the premises of Youth Camp Dajića Brdo. As guests in their camp we comply with all their house and organizational rules. Gravel Camp Golija 2024 will have a dedicated section and amenities for all of its participants. In the ticket price we include one spot for a tent.
- Camp location: Youth Camp Dajića Brdo.
- What amenities are there at camp?
- The camp offers dedicated camping spots, 2 toilets with showers as part of main camping cottage and power outlets at the cottage. Please be notified that due to the limitation in the number of showers that taking a shower after a ride will take some time and we will be conscious in terms of individual water consumption.
- Across the camp there is a kafana where you can buy coffee, tea and drinks, as well as the shop where you can buy snacks etc.
- Do I have an option to book regular accommodation?
- Nearby camp there are a few apartments and cottages you can book. This is not included in the price and you are booking this on your own. Make sure that you are booking an accommodation that is near enough the camp so you can come on time for the start of the day ride. Here are some accommodations nearby you can check-out and book:
- Golijski dar
- Vila Branka Golija
- How can I come to camp if I do not have a car?
- Transport is not included in the ticket price. For this Camp organizers are not planning organized transport. Based on your preference in the application form, organizers can connect you with other participants offering transport.
Optional – Drop Bar Belgrade (DBB) tour to the camp
- What is a Drop Bar Belgrade (DBB) tour?
- Our Partners from Drop Bar Belgrade (DBB) are organising an optional tour to the Camp! They are planning to ride from Belgrade to Golija on Thursday and Friday (August 15-16.) and then from Golija back to Belgrade on Monday and Tuesday (August 19-20th). If you want to join them, you can find out more about it here: www.dropba.rs/upside-down
- What is gravel?
(gra·vl) – Gravel riding or adventure riding, is an increasingly popular form of cycling that combines elements of road and mountain biking, and consisting mostly of distance riding over unpaved roads.
- Will I be able to ride this route?
- It would be great if you would have around 1500km on your road bike or 1000km on your gravel/CX bike, since the beginning of the year. This year, we will have shorter (30-40km) and longer (70-100km) routes each day, so you can choose on the spot which one you are comfortable with. You can be a beginner gravel cyclist as long as you are in good shape, you have at least some experience riding off-road, and some experience riding in a group.
- How can I tell if my bike is good enough for the camp?
- Ideal type of bike for a riding style and the terrain that we are covering is a gravel or a CX (cyclo cross) bike, preferably with disk brakes.
- Bikes that would also do the work are fitness/hybrid and MTB hardtail (cross-country) bikes.
- For all bike types, the most important factors are tires and a bike weight. Tires should be 35 to 50mm wide with a gravel/CX/cross-country profile. Narrower tire and you will be insecure on hard-pack, wider tire and you will be slow in a group ride. We will most probably ride Panaracer Gravelking 40/622.
- Tubeless tire setup is preferable but not a must.
- In case you are not sure if your bike can make it for the camp, shoot us an email.
- Will there be an option to rent a bike/e-bike?
- Unfortunately we will not have the option to rent a bike/e-bike.
- What happens if my bike gets out of function during a tour?
- It would be great if you already know how to fix minor problems on your bike, for example a flat tire. In case you don’t know or need some support, other riders will be there to help you out. In the event of a bigger malfunction, we will be there to pick you up by car and solve the problem on the spot.
- Do I need any special equipment and accessories?
- Beside a bicycle, you will need:
- A helmet – no helmet no ride,
- Sunglasses – protecting your eyes against UV rays,
- Clipless shoes are not a must, but a plus especially if you plan to ride a longer tour,
- Spare tubes x 2,
- Tire levers,
- Mini pump (it’s important that there is at least one pump per group),
- Water bottles x 2.
- And there are some further parts and accessories that can make your life easier but are definitely optional:
- Chain oil,
- Spare brake pads,
- Chain quick link,
- Spare rear derailleur hanger.
- Lastly, we do not plan to be riding bikes at night, but you never know what can happen, so bring the lights just in case.
- Beside a bicycle, you will need:
- For camping you will need:
- Functional tent suited for camping in mountain conditions
- Camp mat of your preference
- Sleeping bag suited for expected conditions
- Important note: Even though the camp is happening in August temperatures in the mountain can drop below zero so make sure you bring the appropriate clothes and camping equipment.
- What kind of clothes should I bring?
- Cycling clothes such as short bibs, a short sleeve jersey, and a long sleeve jersey in case it gets cold. We will ride in hawaii shirts, but you don’t have to.
- Can I combine different route lengths?
- Yes. You can pick one out of two routes each day. Routes will be created in a circular form (same start and finish) and will roughly cover 30-40km (shorter) and 70-100km (longer).
- What happens if I can not ride during all two days?
- You can opt to skip a day, have a hike, chill out or do some yoga – you do you :). No pressure from us.
- When will I get the route?
- A few days before the event starts.
- Should I bring food to the camp?
- Main meals are included and provided in the camp. We advise you to bring bars, gels or isotonics you generally use while cycling.
Payment, price and refund
- What is the price of the tour?
- The camp price is 100€ per person early bird and 120€ regular ticket price.
- What is the deadline for payment?
- The deadline for payment to confirm the reservation is 10 days from receival of the email.
- Which payment options are available? Can I pay in installments or via an invoice?
- Participants are paying the fee by cash and the details will be provided by organizers. After payment participants will receive a receipt.
- Is there a refund in case I need to cancel?
- Once a participant makes a payment, he/she will be able to cancel his/her spot and get a 50% reimbursement up to 4 weeks before the camp. Less than 4 weeks before the camp, the organizer would not be able to reimburse the registration fee.
- Can non-riders apply, and if yes what is the price?
- The goal of the camp is to bring the gravel cycling community together. But if you would like to come with your family, a partner or a friend, it’s no problem. The price remains the same.
- Can we have a mini race? Do I get a medal for finishing the tour?
- Serbia Upside Down is not a race or a competition. It is about adventure cycling in untouched nature, experiencing the local culture, meeting people and having fun. What you will get is some memorable experiences and fun times 🙂
Suunto Vertical – Bike & Run 2023
Mesečni događaji 2023
Prvomajska ekspedicija – Istočna Srbija 2023
DEX – Fruška gora 2023
Junski produženi vikend – Istočna Srbija 2023
Julska ekspedicija – Istočna Srbija 2023
Gravel maraton 2022 – Marš na Drinu
Serbia Upside Down – 2022 Gravel basecamp